SAN FRANCISCO MUNICIPAL RAILWAY
STREETCAR ARTIFACTS
www.streetcarmike.com

FORMER LINE F TRACKS:

This Kodachrome 126 slide dated April 1966 shows the remainder of the tracks that formerly carried F Stockton streetcars across Market St. from Stockton to Fourth and thence to the Southern Pacific depot at Townsend and Third, in use 1947-51. Overhead for the replacement 30 Stockton trolley coaches can be seen above the intersection. The Market tracks have been modified to block the crossing tracks to allow smoother riding. The Stockton tracks would have been removed in a few years when BART construction began, but it is curious that they were allowed to exist for a decade and a half after their use ended. Several of Muni's electric vehicles of the period can be seen, including Twin Coach and Marmon-Herrington trolley coaches and St. Louis Car Co. PCC streetcars. A Mack motor coach is coming inbound behind the Twins on the left. One photo added 04/21/12.

FORMER LINE 40 TRACKS:

The old route 40 interurban streetcar from San Francisco to San Mateo used Mission Street and El Camino Real for a major part of its right-of-way. These photos in the Daly City and Colma area depict remants of the tracks from the line, which was discontinued January 1949.

On El Camino Real between Collins Ave. and Mission Rd. in Colma were these median tracks, photographed on a February 1996 evening. They were removed when the Colma BART station was built. Two photos added 01/24/11.

These tracks still existed as of January 2011. They are in the median of Mission St. at Valley St. and were photographed December 7, 2008. Five photos added 12/08/08.

TRANSBAY TERMINAL TURNOUTS:

All that's left of the track leading from Fremont to Market Sts., as photographed on the evening of January 26, 2011, is this segment that used to feed into the outbound track. Two photos added 03/18/12.

ORIGINAL WEST PORTAL OF TWIN PEAKS TUNNEL:

PCC 1138 on K Ingleside outbound is stopped at West Portal on September 18, 1966. The picture shows the original Twin Peaks Tunnel facade and the curved bus shelters that were later added. All this was replaced in the 1970s when West Portal Station was built. 1138, ex-St. Louis Public Service 1741, wears the green and cream simplified livery. Slide by C.G. Parsons. One photo added 05/20/12.